Monday, August 9, 2010

Omaha Zoo

In an effort to experience as much of the Midwest as we could in our last few months in Iowa, we took a trip to the Omaha Zoo. It's listed as one of the top 10 zoos in the US, so how could we miss the chance? And yes, I did plan for Jonah and Wyatt to wear their animal shirts at the zoo. I don't get to dress up girls in cute little frilly things so I do what I can.
If you have never been, the Omaha Zoo is a pretty amazing zoo. Our day started out with an orangutan begging for food, or maybe she wanted my child?

This was the penguin exhibit. It was great because the kids can get right up next to the glass and the penguins swim directly in front of them.
Another view station for the penguins--

The sea tunnel--sharks and turtles and lots more.
I didn't include any photos of the desert, but there is a huge dome enclosing a desert and then another huge indoor rainforest with different monkey-like animals coming right up to you from the trees, a large waterfall and rope bridge...

and our own monkeys.

Wyatt cracks me up! His cute little personality luckily shines through on so many photos.


There was also a very large farm area with goats and chickens and even a fake cow to milk. Jonah could have spent half the day feeding the over-fed goats.
And they even had a cebu or zebu or however you spell it. Since Veggie-Tales is a staple at our house, seeing a real zebu was quite exciting.

3 comments:

pamela said...

kate your children are so adorable. i'm glad you are back, i hope to see you sometime.

Audrey said...

How fun! And I love that you put them in animal shirts.

Melissa said...

that looks so fun... but anything beats the hogle zoo. Where are you living? We should get together soon.