Monday, January 4, 2010

The Sleepy Second Child

Wyatt stopped taking naps much earlier than Jonah because it is way more fun to stay awake and play with Jonah. Sometimes though, it gets to him.



And I should note that Wyatt stopped stuffing his blue blankies in his mouth about mid-summer, just before his birthday. I didn't know how we were going to get him to stop, but after we went to the dentist, who said that his mouth was starting to be affected by all his blanket sucking, we talked to Wyatt about it. I told him the dentist said that if he keeps sucking his blanket it was going to make his teeth stick out and that would make it harder to chew and talk. I gave him the choice: keep the blanket and don't suck on it or let mom put the blankets away. He chose to keep them and amazingly stopped sucking them that day. I guess I didn't expect so much self-discipline out of nearly 3-year-old, but then he often surprises me (like when he showed me that he could read the Hooked on Phonics workbook we have 2 or 3 months ago). Lately he doesn't have much use for the blankets. Usually they reside in the closet, but every once in a while he likes to get them out if he notices them up on the shelf in there. He still never sucks on them, though. Just the other day he even gave one to Emmett because, of course, every baby needs a blue blankie.

No comments: