I saw on Diane (Grimshaw) Olsen's blog one day that she had made her kids a play kitchen out of big cardboard boxes, wrapping paper, and other such stuff. It got me thinking of how I could make a kitchen for our playroom without spending a lot because those little kitchens--at least the really cute Pottery Barn ones--can be pretty pricy. This is the final result. Best part--it is made from 100% recycled materials.
The frame is made from collapsable shelving that you can make into just about any configuration. I think I've had it since college if not longer. The sink is an old wok lid, the faucet is part of a hose with a chopstick shoved down it to make it stand up like that, the bread box is from our last house (this house doesn't have the counter space for it), and the blue and green squares are all painted cardboard from bike boxes (I happen to have about a thousand Boot Scoot boxes in my garage so I didn't have go very far). And some of you might recognize the Oh! Sweet Sadie grocery list stationery I attached to the fridge.
Hopefully the boys will play with it. Now I just need to find some play food. I'm still thinking recycled--wrapping food boxes in contact paper as we use them. Only problem, I'll have to go to the store to buy contact paper 'cause it's not so recyclable.
3 comments:
Katie, that is so clever! Way to be creative and frugal.
Kate I love it! And we have a kitchen at all the little boys in the neighborhood play with all the time. I bet your boys will love it.
Of course you would come up with a great idea like that! You're always coming up with stuff! Thanks for the tip!
Post a Comment